Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Snow as the Comeback Kid


We lucky inhabitants of the arctic North saw a somewhat early snowfall at the start of the week. As most Chicagoans began their seasonal griping while digging out their cars and enjoying double-time commutes, my only cynical retaliation was a knowing roll-of-the-eyes that I employed to mask my inner 8 year old. But with 18 snowflake-free years under my belt how can I help but turn into a giddy bright-eyed girl when I see the the grimy urbanity with which I otherwise live embraced by a blanket of soft white?

Nothing is more magical than snow, especially at the start of the season when the novelty of it is not yet lost. Finally a tangible reason to light those fireplaces! to plant that holly and ivy! to hum Bing Crosby as you trek up the street to the train!

For those who no longer awake to the sight of a winter-white window, or who have never resided outside of Southern California, I give you a few snapshots to whet your winter palate.


2 comments:

Sares said...

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!!

I have, sadly, never seen snow, nor have I had the pleasure of seeing Ethan Embry atop a snow capped mountain.

And my jealousy continues (a loving one, of course)...

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm, am I missing the snow? Let's see... now that I have a mountain in my view that is capped with snow and the promise that if I REALLY wanted it, I could go get it, I think I'll stick to the light drizzle and 40 degree weather. Although I have been hearing rumors that we might see some snow this weekend. My guess is that this city's idea of "snow" is a few hours of light sleet from midnight to 6 AM...